Saturday 6 August 2016

(36) Upanishat's daughter Geetaa


PURUSHA-
“Afterwards?”

UPANISHAT-
च्छिन्ना मुक्तावलिरपहृतं स्रस्तमङ्गाद्दुकूलं
भीता गीताश्रममथ गलन्नूपुराहं प्रविष्टा [24]

“With my pearl necklace broken,
 as the silk garment worn by me slipped and was taken away,
with the anklets dropping off,
frightened,
I entered the hermitage of Geetaa.

{Bhagavad Geetaa contains the essence of Upanishads}

My daughter Geetaa saw me entering her place and embraced me affectionately calling out, ‘Mother! Mother!’ and she made me sit comfortably on a seat. She heard all that had happened to me and said-
“Mother! Do not feel dis-heartened. Those demonic beings, who have proved you false and are wandering freely, will be punished by God. Lord himself has spoken about them like this-‘I will throw those hateful cruel men of the worst category into countless inauspicious demonic wombs to suffer in the worldly existence’ (Bhagavad Geeta).”

PURUSHA- (with curiosity)
“Devi! By your grace I want to know who this Supreme Ruler (Ishvara) is!”

UPANISHAT- (as if in anger)
“Who can give an answer if someone like the blind asks about his own Self?”
(If a blind man asks-‘How do I look?’, what answer can be given?}

PURUSHA- (happily)
“What! I the Purusha am the Supreme Lord!?

UPANISHAT-
“It is so indeed!
As it is-
असौ त्वदन्यो न सनातनः पुमान्
भवान्न देवात्पुरुषोत्तमात्परः
स एष भिन्नस्त्वदनादिमायया
द्विधेव बिम्बं सलिले विवस्वतः [25]

That ancient Purusha is not different from you!
You are not different from the Excellent Purusha, the Lord!
He appears different from you because of the beginning less Maayaa,
like the reflection of the Sun in the water appears as if different.”

PURUSHA- (addressing Viveka)
“Lord! Though the Goddess has explained well, I am not able to comprehend it.

अवच्छिन्नस्य भिन्नस्य जरामरणधर्मिणः
मम ब्रवीति देवीयं सत्यानन्दचिदात्मतां [26]

 This Goddess calls such a person as me with a different limited form undergoing
 the pains of old age and death as
the principle of Truth, Bliss and Knowledge.”

VIVEKA-
“Since you do not grasp the meanings of the words, you are not able to understand the meaning of the sentence also. What the noble one stated is the truth.”  

PURUSHA-
“Tell me Lord, how I can understand such statements!”


VIVEKA-
“What I am saying is-
षोsस्मीति विविच्य नेतिपदतश्चित्तेन सार्धं कृते
तत्त्वानां विलये चिदात्मनि परिज्ञाते त्वमर्थे पुनः
श्रुत्वा तत्त्वमसीति बाधितभवध्वान्तं तदात्मप्रभं
शान्तं ज्योतिरनन्तमन्तरुदितानन्दः समुद्द्योतते [27]

‘Not this’ ‘Not this’ - with such an analysis,
 if the mind is able to contemplate ‘I am this’;
as the elements get absorbed into the Self,
  the meaning of the word ‘You’ is understood as the Self;
hearing the words ‘That You Are’,
the darkness of the worldly limitations disappear
 and the self-shining quiescent luster which is endless, reveals itself
 filling within, Bliss supreme.”

PURUSHA - (happily) (analyses the meaning of what he heard)

{Purusha, through his discriminative power understands the abstract meanings of the Upanishad statements. Now he contemplates on the Self.

Contemplation or Nididhyaasana now should make Viveka unite with Upanishat Devi and allow the child Prabodha (awakening) to get born. That is the task in his hand now as instructed by VishnuBhakti. Or in other words, Lord Vishnu helps the Purusha in the process of realization.}


No comments:

Post a Comment